Assumption Church

  • Greek-Archdiocese-of-America

Place Category: Non-Profit Organisations and Churches

Profile
Profile
Photos
Reviews
  • The Greek community in Pawtucket began somewhere near 1896 with approximately six to ten young men who immigrated from towns and villages of Greece. They rented halls and houses in the general area of East Avenue to hold Divine Liturgy services whenever a priest was available. Occasionally, services were performed by a layperson.

    By 1910, the community had grown to approximately 75 members. The building of a church was a burning desire and our founding fathers solicited funds. Each and every member deprived themselves and their families to donate to this dream. In one year they raised a grand total of $750 and in 1911 property was bought on George Street. The first Parish Council, consisting of 7 members was formed on February 22, 1912, and the Assumption Church received a religious corporation charter from the Sate of Rhode Island.

  • Leave a Review

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.